Overcome Dental Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry
Types of Sedation We Offer
Sedation dentistry involves the use of medication to help patients relax during dental procedures, ranging from simple cleanings and exams to dental implant surgery. At our practice, we offer two sedation options:
- Oral Conscious Sedation
- This form of sedation is administered as a pill. We may instruct you to take this medication 30 minutes to one hour prior to treatment, or the evening before your appointment. We can adjust the dosage depending upon the extent of your treatment and anxiety, as well as your weight. With this method, you will still be conscious and able to respond to instructions, but you should have little to no memory of your procedure.
- IV Sedation
- If you receive IV sedation, we can administer medication directly into your blood stream through your vein. This form of sedation is different than general anesthesia. Similar to oral sedation, you will still remain conscious during treatment, but in a deep state of relaxation. We can easily adjust the level of medication throughout the procedure to maximize your comfort.
Whether you receive oral conscious or IV sedation, you should arrange for a ride home from a loved one following your appointment.
Pain Relief with Local Anesthetic
It is important to note that sedation does not provide pain relief. However, we also offer local anesthesia, which is administered by injection. Local anesthetic may be used independently or in conjunction with sedation to provide both pain relief and relaxation. During treatment, we can inject anesthetic into the procedural site to block pain sensations. It is not administered into the blood stream but instead into the skin or mucous membranes.
Dr. Herrington is a DOCS certified oral sedation dentist and has received advanced training in IV Sedation Dentistry at University of Alabama School of Dentistry.
The Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry can alleviate much of the stress and fear associated with your dental visit, creating a more pleasant experience. Over time, sedation can help patients feel more comfortable with dental care and foster a positive doctor-patient relationship. The ability to undergo necessary treatments can ultimately improve your oral health, as patients typically find it easier to attend regular dental visits.
Which Patients Benefit Most?
While Dr. Herrington happily provides sedation dentistry to patients who request it for treatment, some patients may especially benefit from sedation, including:
- Patients with dental anxiety
- Those who suffer from claustrophobia
- Elderly patients
- Patients with special needs
- Pediatric patients
- Patients with heightened gum or tooth sensitivity
- Patients with a fear of needles
For the right candidates, sedation can be used for everything for scaling and root planing to implant surgery. Dr. Herrington can review your needs and goals during your consultation to determine if this option is right for you.
Creating a Pleasant Experience
It is our goal to ensure you feel comfortable and confident in our care. Whether you are struggling with anxiety or are undergoing an extensive procedure, sedation dentistry can significantly improve your experience. Contact us online or call us at (601) 482-6938 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Herrington.